Joel Kessel is an advisor, content creator and speaker on the topics of strategic communications and working with the media. He helps authors, entrepreneurs, solopreneurs, side hustlers, and small businesses understand how to leverage publicity so they can step onto a bigger stage, amplify their message and further fuel their marketing communication and lead-generation efforts.
A native of Ohio, Joel started his career in Chicago where he worked with professionals such as Chris Ruys Communications, Durk Rion Public Relations, and Golin Harris. He has worked with large and small organizations, such as National Runaway Safeline, Ronald McDonald House Charities, Weber Grills, and Master Lock. Joel also managed the marketing communications efforts for the Northern Illinois chapter of the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.
Over time, Joel developed a specialization in PR strategy and media relations, which he has leveraged to garner attention for his clients through media outlets such as USA Today, New York Times, Associated Press, CBS Evening News, NBC Nightly News and Columbus Business First, among others.
Joel’s Maturepreneurial Endeavors
Today, Joel speaks, advises and writes about public relations and communications for the purpose of helping leaders of organizations that are doing meaningful work share their story in a meaningful way.
- His company, Kessel Communications, is a strategic communications agency that helps businesses strengthen their credibility, build positive reputations and increase brand awareness through better communications.
- His blog, JoelKessel.com, provide ideas, tips and advice on how businesses can get their stories in front of those who matter to them, with a focus on working with media reporters to gain consistent coverage and awareness about a product, service or organization. The blog also reports how others are sharing their stories, how they’re being successful, how social media, advertising, and marketing all play together to increase influence and impact on the people a business serves.
- His podcast, Conversations on Communications provides listeners with thoughts and insight on how they can strategically and authentically communicate and deliver their message and story with clarity and confidence.
Fun Facts About Joel
- Joel worked for five years in radio
- While living in Chicago, he was a lead singer in a two-man band
- He was a member of an improv group
- He’s done commercial voice-over work
- He was a punter at Ohio State
Joel is a member of The Ohio State University’s Varsity “O” Men’s Alumni Association and the Public Relations Society of America. He is a founding member of the Ohio chapter of the Association for Strategic Planning. He graduated from Ohio State University with a bachelor’s degree in journalism with a concentration in public relations.
Joel Kessel Show Notes
What did you do before you became a MaturePreneur?
Did you have a client already that was already set up that you could just go into?
What are you doing now?
When somebody becomes a client, how long do they work with you?
Did you go to school for PR and marketing?
Once you started your business, what is the most successful idea that you have implemented for it?
What was your least successful idea and how did you change tactics to fix it?
What is the most important or memorable advice someone has given you?
Did you get that from Simon Sinek’s book?
What if someone’s why is that they want to make money?
Do you have any advice for somebody just starting out now?
What is the most surprising thing you discovered once you started your endeavor?